Pages

Monday 22 October 2012

Autumn Leaf-Rubbing Art

We had such an excellent time making this lovely, autumn art.

After collecting a bag of autumn leaves of all different shapes and sizes, we arranged them on a huge piece of paper. I used some wallpaper backing-roll, which is a super-cheap way to buy excellent quality paper. If anything, it was slightly too thick for this project and I might try again using thinner paper, next time.


We chose some autumn-leaf coloured wax crayons.


Here's our final leaf arrangement - quite pretty in its own right.


Then we put another layer of paper over the top and began to make leaf-rubbings with the wax crayons.

I've taped the paper down so it doesn't slip too much during the colouring process.


Everyone joined in!


Then we used diluted food-colouring to make a colour-wash over the leaf rubbings, giving a lovely wax-resist effect.

Elizabeth said this was her BEST part of the day.


Francesca had fun with it too.


I haven't got a photo of the finished article just yet, but it's a gorgeous mass of autumny colours and leaf shapes. It would make a beautiful wall-hanging or some very posh hand-made wrapping paper.

2 comments:

  1. Great to have been involved in this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE this and must try it! I'm not sure who will enjoy it more, me or the girls!!
    Love
    Fay
    xx

    ReplyDelete